Monday is the most dreaded day of the week for most us, and one of the least productive workdays. A multitude of factors contribute to this: disrupted sleep schedule due to weekend events, difficultly transitioning from the weekend to work, feeling overwhelmed by responsibilities for the week, dreading the work week ahead of us, or even feeling burned out from a busy weekend. Here are some tips to help you have a better Monday:
- Go to Bed Early on Sunday: over the weekend our sleep schedule is completely thrown off. The human body struggles to quickly adjust to a new schedule overnight. Try going to bed about 30 minutes earlier than you typically do on a weeknight to give your body some extra time to rejuvenate from the weekend festivities and re-adjust to the work schedule.
- Prepare for Monday Morning on Sunday Night: waiting to look at your schedule for the week, and the lengthy list of tasks to be completed until Monday morning sets you up to feel overwhelmed, unprepared and intimidated. To avoid this, glance at your schedule on Sunday and write down 3 tasks you want to accomplish on Monday. This will help you feel prepared and increase productivity the next morning.
- Have a Lunch: when our bodies are tired, our appetite will increase to supply the body with the fuel it needs. Pack yourself a lunch and a snack to make your life a little easier on Monday morning.
- Positivity: one of the reasons Mondays are so difficult is due to our attitudes about the day. All of Sunday, we think about how much we are dreading the workday and focus on the negatives. Change the script by focusing on some of the positives about your work week or doing a gratitude exercise. For example: the weather is going to be nice tomorrow, I plan on eating lunch outside, which will be a nice break in my day.
- Make Monday Morning as Easy as Possible: organize and prepare as much as possible for Monday morning on Sunday. Meal prep, set out your work clothes and have your bag packed. The less you have to do on Monday morning, the better your attitude will be heading into work.
I hope this blog post help make your Monday a little better!